November 24, 2020
We have just received communication from Gymnastics BC that all clubs are to temporarily shut down until further notice.
Gymnastics BC is working with viaSport in order to get some further guidance and clarity on the situation. Further information will be circulated by them to us tomorrow. At that point, we will be able to let you know how we will be proceeding.
Please be patient and let us work through the next couple days so that we can inform you properly.
Many thanks for your patience and understanding.
November 19, 2020
As the situation progresses on Vancouver Island, we would like to remind everyone that we continue to follow guidelines provided by Gymnastics BC, Island Health and the BC Government. The sport of gymnastics has, from the start, implemented strict guidelines, facilitated by the premise that gymnastics is an individual sport that can be practiced while maintaining physical distance. We will continue to take matters seriously, with increased cleaning and observations of all guidelines.
As a reminder to all our members, please take note of the below province-wide and club-specific policies that need to be observed during this time:
- Masks are required upon entry into our facility, whether athletes or adults wanting to access the office.
- Everyone entering the facility must disinfect their hands immediately (hand sanitizer is located in the lobby and hand-washing stations are in the washrooms).
- Athletes are asked to keep their masks on until their General Warm-up begins, and to wear their mask anytime they head into the lobby area, including at the end of class. Parents participating in Parent & Tot classes must wear their masks at all times, even during class.
- Athletes are to keep physical distance during all times at the gym - Everyone inside the facility must maintain a minimum of two metres apart at all times.
- Effective immediately, coaching for all programs must be performed hands-free (no spotting).
- Anyone wanting to access the office must make an appointment ahead of time.
- Safety Checks are mandatory for all athletes entering the gym - please make sure these are completed prior to arrival and ready to show at the door.
- Our BC Premier has just announced that non-essential travel throughout the province is now prohibited for 2-weeks beginning November 18, 2020. Members who choose to travel during this time are asked to stay at home for 2 weeks in order to prevent potential exposures.
- No travel is allowed at this time outside of your local communities.
- It is recommended that everyone only have close contact with their immediate family. While cohorts and bubbles exist out of this, it is encouraged to keep physical distance within these additional people. This includes sports cohorts, school cohorts, carpooling and close friends. If physical distance cannot be done safely, please wear a mask.
- Individuals must stay home if they are unwell or if someone in their household is sick. They must also stay home if they have knowingly been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 recently.
We thank you for your cooperation and understanding during these times. As things progress, we will communicate further updates.
Our updated and approved Safety Plan can be found below.
June 30, 2020
We are happy to announce that the Nanaimo Gymnastics School Safety Plan has been approved! This means we will be reopening shortly and starting to offer programming to our members.
Competitive Programs will be the first to restart, with a gradual reintroduction of all other programs. Stay tuned for announcements about camps and classes for the Fall!
Please see below our approved Safety Plan:
March 16, 2020
To all our Nanaimo Gymnastics Families:
Due to unprecedented developments related to the COVID-19 virus, and following recommendations from both the Province of BC and City of Nanaimo, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend all our gymnastics programming effective immediately until and until further notice.
The health and safety of our athletes and community is of utmost importance to us. We will keep in close contact with Gymnastics BC and the Ministry of Health and re-assess when it is safe for our community and us to reopen.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. As this is uncharted territory, we ask for your patience as we navigate all of this.
We thank you in advance for your continued support in these difficult times.
March 15, 2020
Due to the rapid progression and growing concerns regarding the COVID-19 virus, we have decided to cancel all Preschool and Recreational classes for Monday, March 16, so that we can meet and take further actions necessary.
Please stay tuned for further information.
March 14, 2020:
As of Saturday, March 14 all programming is running as scheduled.
Please rest assured the safety of all members remains our utmost priority. Sport facilities are often high contact zones and as such, our staff is conducting additional cleaning in both the gym and lobby areas, especially between classes.
If your athlete is sick (especially with a fever or bad cough), we ask you to take into consideration the other athletes and staff and keep them home until there are no symptoms for a 24 hour period.
All persons returning from out of the country are required to self-quarantine upon their return for 14 days.
For those attending the gym, please communicate the following guidelines to your child:
- No sharing water bottles, food or lip balm
- Try not to touch your face, especially nose, eyes and mouth
- Wash your hands when you first come into the gym and after class
- No high fives
- Immediately wash your hands/elbows if you sneeze or cough
- Parents: please wash your athlete's water bottle thoroughly every day - as well as any items that are used regularly (wrist bands, socks, gymsuits, shorts)
- Limit traffic in our gym by dropping off athletes and limiting viewing
The BC Centre for Disease Control also provides guidelines that everyone should abide to:
We continue to monitor Gymnastics BC, the City of Nanaimo and the Government of BC for further directives and protocols.
We thank you for your support in keeping our environment safe for all members.